Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Week One: The Path to a Different Me

Ok.  So, One week ago I decided I was going to shed a few pounds, and let me tell you it ain't easy.

First of all, I love food!  

Other than playing with my brats, being in the woods, and, of course, spending time with Mama Bear, eating is my favorite thing to do. There are just so many recipes to taste and enjoy, and so many dishes to prepare and taste. Just the thought of it gives me tingles and makes me smile. 

But, there is a problem.  I haven't just been tasting.  I've been gorging.  

Not Good!

So, last Tuesday I decided today is the day I am going to make a change, and I'm starting right now by going on a diet.

Yuck!

Sounds like no fun right?

Well, it isn't any fun, but I'm not really doing it for me.  I'm doing it for my brats and for Mama Bear.  For some reason, they seems to love me, and I love them very dearly, so I'm going to try and get a little healthier for them, and I am not going to do it with any pills or fad diets.

I'm just going to do it the plain jane, old fashioned way of cutting caloric intake and exercising.  

To be honest with you, I am not enjoying it all that much so far.  

I'm used to eating until I am stuffed, which is no good, so getting used to putting the fork and spoon down while I am still peckish is kind of rough.

Eventually, I am sure I'll get used to it.  Just like, eventually, I won't see food that needs "tasting" all around me all the time.

The other thing that makes my dieting kind of hard is the fact that my bratty boys eat all day.  I am constantly preparing snacks for them.  There is always a temptation to just take a little bite of what they are having, but we all know what that will lead to.  

Let me tell you, breaking the habit of snacking all day is a hard habit to break, but I am going to do it. 

What really helps me is redirection of attention.  

Instead of thinking about food, I focus on other things.  Sometimes, I make up stories while the boys are having one of their hundreds of snack times through out the day, sometimes I play my guitar, sometimes I sit and tune up one of the radio control cars, sometimes I get an early start on dinner, sometimes I have even resorted to doing dishes, but the important thing is I am doing something other than eating.  I figure that once I break that habit of wanting to sit and snack with them all day things will be much easier.

Anyway, for those of you that are curious, my starting weight is a heavy 300 pounds on the dot.  Yes, I am counting calories, and I am aiming for around 2,000 a day, which I have been told is very reasonable.  

And, most importantly, I am not denying myself any of my favorite foods.  I am just limiting how much I eat.  I am doing my best to stick to recommended serving sizes and all that rot.  I find that having actual numbers to go by is very helpful.  I am shooting for a 2 pound loss each week with the eventual end result of being around 200-220 pounds.  I'd be pleased with that.

So far, I have screwed up my first week.  My portions and variety need a little fine tuning because as of this morning I have lost ten pounds. I am a little perplexed by this.  I just hope it doesn't all come back next week.

Also, I am teaching myself to prepare meals healthier, which doesn't mean less flavorful, but it does mean more work a lot of the time.  It's worth it though.

Here's a quick for instance.  The other day I made one of my favorite foods in the world, Chicken Wings! But, I changed up my method of preparing them.  

First thing I did differently was to remove the skin from all of the wings, which, admittedly, was quite labor intensive. Then, I pulled off any remaining fat, again labor intensive.  

After that, I mixed some garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, chile powder, and salt into a mixing bowl and dropped the wings ontop and then mixed them well, took them out, put them on a baking sheet, and popped them into the oven at 350 degrees until they were 180 degrees internally. 

Yes, it was quite a bit of fuss, but, in the end, the wings tasted even better than usual, and they were a little healthier.  

Well, that's it for week one.


No comments:

Post a Comment