Friday, June 15, 2012

Moving Forward, Yet Falling Back...

Unfortunately, intolerance is alive and well in this country.  One might even say that it is thriving, and that is kind of scary.

I mean, come on!

What happened to forward progression?!

It seems like every step we take forwards we end up taking 2 maybe three in the opposite direction.  How do you explain that?  As a parent, how do you ensure that your kids don't start walking backwards in time too? 

I mean, there is only so much you can do.  

I can start them off in the right direction, teach them to be strong, and hope that it sticks, but what happens if that isn't enough?

What if I screw up?

What happens if that magical thing called peer pressure turns my boys into women hating, racist, intolerant of anything non-"christian," hate mongers? (and we're not even christians!)

I'd feel like such a failure!

In reality, I am not too worried about this happening because I honestly think that kids learn hate and intolerance from home not from their friends, not the life long hatred and intolerance anyway. That's the kind of ignorance you have to really work at to maintain.

Unfortunately, there are some hard workers out there.  It's rather sad really.  Imagine if they put all that energy into something useful...

Anyway, I guess as a daddy the only thing I can do is try my hardest to teach my sons to accept people for who they are.  Try to get them to focus on what's the same instead of the differences.


What do you think?  How do you teach tolerance and acceptance to your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment