Monday, June 11, 2012

Cream My Root Beer (A.K.A Fart Soda)!!!!

It looks all Mirky and 
Well, we have tried to make our very own soda, and it turned out to be easier than I thought it would be.  It was also much quicker, and the boy loves it so I thought I would share the recipe with you.

The only thing that I will warn you about is that it smells all sulfur-y like a baby fart, but, other than that it tastes pretty good.  

Not too sweet not too bitter.  I was going for a root beer float type of flavor and it kind of worked out for me.

So, if you want the recipe, here it is. 

Cream My Root Beer (A.K.A Fart Soda)

Here's what you'll need:

1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of root beer extract
2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of active dry yeast
1 funnel
1two liter plastic bottle with a screw on cap (i.e. used soda bottle)
2 liters of water (bottled, tap, distilled, or whatever as long as it is clean)
Some bleach

Prep time = about 35 minutes where you only actually do stuff for five of those minutes

Step 1: Clean the Bottle!

Since brewing root beer takes a few days it is important to sanitize the used plastic soda bottle.  This may sound intimidating, but it is really easy.  Fill the bottle half way with water, dump in about a 1/4 cup of bleach, and then fill the bottle the rest of the way with bleach.  Put the cap on, swish it around a little, and then let it set for a half hour.

Then simply dump out the bleach water and rinse the bottle out thoroughly.

Step 2: Add the Sugar, yeast, and the extracts

Using the funnel pour the sugar into the plastic bottle and then the yeast.  Swirl it around a little and then add the extracts.

Try to mix the extract into the sugar and yeast as best you can

Step 3:  Add water

Now fill the bottle up to within an inch/inch and a half of the top  then cap it tightly.

Lastly, turn the bottle upside down and right side up multiple times to mix all the sugar and what not with the water.

Step 4: Let it sit

Now, let it brew, which means setting it aside until the bottle get's hard.  That's when you know it is carbonated.  This took me 2 days, but I imagine that it could take as long as a week or as little as overnight depending on the temperature.

Once the bottle is hard put it in the fridge and let it chill over night, and drink it.

(Keep in mind that if you don't put the root beer in the fridge once the bottle gets hard it may explode as the yeast will continue to react to the sugar, which creates natural carbonation)

P.s. If the soda smells like a fart don't be alarmed.  Mine smelled like somebody ripped ass in my glass, but the root beer still tasted pretty good.  

P.P.s.  I wasn't lying when I said it smelled like a fart.

P.P.P.s.  The yeast and sugar = fermentation, which = alcohol content, but the amount of alcohol is negligible, less than the amount of alcohol in a non-alcoholic beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment