Monday, May 21, 2012

Giant Wasps from Hell!!

Well, over the past week or so I have noticed that a strange insect has been inhabiting my back yard, and, at first I was terrified by it even if Pizzly found them hilarious!

Or, maybe he thought I was hilarious...who knows!

But, this thing is huge and hornet like and the combination of these two things scares the pie out of me!  

In fact, anything that looks like a yellow jacket on steroids is scary!  I don't care who you are!

Yeah that's right, it looks exactly like a a giant merth ferking  Yellow Jacket on steroids!  

Just imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger in a yellow jacket costume and you'll get a pretty good picture in your mind of what I am talking about.  

He would be about the same size as this monstrosity.

Well, that may be exaggerating a bit, but this waspish thing is huge!

I swear that yesterday while I was up on the ladder inspecting a critter hole it was buzzing around me, and it sounded just like a helicopter was landing in my back yard.

"That's it!" I thought to myself.  "I'll be damned if I let some mutant wasp colony scare me away from my back yard!"  So, I decided that I was going to research this monster, find out out how to kill it, and then go to the hardware store to get the tools I would need to wage glorious war on it.

Well, that war need never happen.

Photo from University of Maryland's gardening site
http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/lawns.cfm
Apparently, I was afraid for no reason.  What I thought was a nasty stinging yellow jacket on roids was nothing but a Cicada Killer Wasp!

Yes the name does sound vaguely frightening, but I assure you that I am assured that the insect is not harmful in anyway.  

In fact, the males don't even have stingers.  The females do, but they only come out to hunt apparently, and they hunt Cicadas, not people.

Nothing at all to worry about.

Now, I kind of feel like I owe these giant insects an apology!

No comments:

Post a Comment