Friday, April 20, 2012

One of the things I'm Insecure About

Let's face it.  We all have our own little secrets and our own insecurities, and I am getting sick of a few of mine, so I am going to get rid of one today, secrets that is.  I doubt I'll stop feeling insecure about it.

Anyway, I am going to share one of my secret insecurities and just hope that you all don't laugh at me or ridicule me...too much.

It's really quite embarrassing to me, and I am rather hesitant to mention it, so I guess I'll just come out and say it.

I have a crappy imagination... 

Since the boy came into our lives, I have grown increasingly aware of this, and I am quite ashamed of it.  Sure, it may be no big deal to anyone one else, but to me it is a huge shortcoming, even bigger than my filthy genetics and the disease I have that stems from them because this malady is far worse in my eyes as it severely affects my ability to be a good dad.

Or, at least, I think it does.

I mean, your imagination or lack there of dictates how you do everything, including be a parent, doesn't it?

Because of my crappy imagination play time with Pizzly is seriously hampered because all of my games are lame unless they are athletically based, which for obvious reasons I am no good at. Story time has to be from a book because I can't make one up like so many other, better parents can, so the boys and I will never have a story that is uniquely ours, and  I am a terrible problem solver because half of the time I can't think of a solution.

Take our leaky roof for instance.  For weeks I have been thinking on it and how to fix it.  If it was a normal roof it would be no problem, but it isn't a normal roof, so a normal patch or repair job wouldn't work.  

I needed to have an imagination to fix it.

But, since I do not have an imagination I couldn't fix it.  I  ended up asking one of my best pals to come over and take a look at it, and he came up with a solution in a matter of minutes.

It was genius in its simplicity.

If you can't stop the water from getting in, then redirect the water away.  Brilliant!  How come I didn't think of that?!  

I felt so stupid!!! (By the by, His fix works beautifully.)

Luckily, an imagination is something you can work on I think, and, fortunately, I have an awesome tutor living with me.  He's two and has a penchant for creativity and is well known for his awesome imagination.

We refer to him as The Great Pizzmeister!

Oh yeah, he also is very talented at coercing people me into doing anything.  For some reason, I just can't say no to the little bugger, which is why he is such a good tutor I believe.  

If he wants me to be a cat, then darn it I am going to try to be a cat even if I am no good at it.  But, after months of practice I am getting better.

Maybe there's hope for me yet.

Just like everything else, if it doesn't come easy work on it until it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment