Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Dreaded Dietitian!

So, yesterday I had to go and see a dietitian as per doctors orders.  Let's just say I wasn't too happy about it.

I was fully expecting to show and and be confronted with some skinny minny who has never had weight problems much less a genetic disorder telling me how fat I am and that I need to eat less, especially junk food, before he/she even bothers to ask me what it is and how much of it I am eating. 

However, what I wasn't prepared for was a not at all too skinny woman telling me that it isn't about weight, which is just a number, it is about health and quality of life.   If you're happy and healthy and feel good then who cares how heavy you are.

My sentiments exactly!

Then, this ultra cool lady told me that what I was doing was alright, but it would be better if I broke each meal into two, so instead of three meals a day I would have six snacks a day.  I guess that is meant to jump start my sluggish metabolism, but I am not sure how feasible that is, being that I chase a crazy two year old all day.

But, I'll try it.  I'll also try to eat more beans, which is already a staple in our diet.  

Anyway, other than that she didn't have anything new to tell me, but it was worth seeing her just the same.  If not for the advice then for my comeuppins.  I shouldn't have judged this poor woman before I even met her.

It was wrong!

I felt so bad about that that by the time we ended our meeting I apologized to her for thinking poorly of her before I showed up and she said, "I totally get that.  No one want's to be told they are fat, and I am the dreaded dietitian!  The one that is supposed to tell you everything you are doing wrong.  Of course, I am not going to be popular."

Well, regardless of whether or not any one else likes her, I do.  And, I'll remember this meeting with her every time I am bit leery of going someplace new or meeting someone new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment