Monday, February 6, 2012

Doing it all Wrong! Daddy Style!!

I  promise to keep my comments on the superbowl and half time show brief. 

Yay Giants!

And Why Madonna? (A very expensive looking halftime with music only adolescent girls of the 80's could truly enjoy.  Not that I didn't think it was ok too. Just wasn't thrilled by it.)

Other than that, I have nothing to say about the game or half time show.
 

Now that that's out of the way let's begin.

This morning I was thinking about a blogger that I have been following from across the world in Australia.  He's another one of us daddy bloggers.

Anyway, I was thinking of this post particularly, "Time to put my blogging to the test," and one line above all others stuck out in my mind.

"There are no rules in blogging."

He's absolutely right!  There aren't any rules.  I mean really.  Any idiot can have his own blog, just look at me for instance.

But, whatsmore, is that there are no rules for life or parenting either, asides from laws that are designed to prevent child abuse and neglect.

But, despite those laws any idiot can have a kid.  I am sure we all know a few who probably shouldn't have reproduced but did anyway, and there's nothing that we can do about it.

It's frustrating as hell right?

I mean we just can't go and take someone's kid away because the parent is a jerk no matter how much we'd like to.

Just think if we could though.  Would you or I still have our kids?


Who would determine the "right" way to raise a child?

These so called "experts" we see in the parenting magazines?

What would make them the "right" choice?

If not them then who?
 
Luckily, these questions need no answers, and I am glad for that because I am sure that according to a lot of people out there I am screwing this being a dad thing all up.

Why?

Because:

We choose to co-sleep 

I encouraged/supported my wife when she chose to breastfeed instead of formula feed Pizzly

I supported my wife's decision to start weaning Pizzly when she felt the time was right

I told my wife to give him what he wants in the middle of the night, which was boob milk, so we could get some sleep more than once  

I don't keep a spotlessly clean house so he might get a germ on him at some point

I have never fed Pizzly baby food from a jar (or if I did it was bananas or prunes. those don't count)

I occasionally let the boy drink soda from my glass

I let Pizzly run around naked all day so he will use the potty when he needs to and so he doesn't get a diaper rash

I allow him to get filthy dirty when we go out to play.  Actually, I encourage this behaviour

I have occasionally let a swear word slip out while he was with me

I don't like the idea of disciplining him because I don't want him to be terrified of me

I hate reading kiddie books to him so instead I read stuff like "The Lord of the Rings" during the day

I read to him in French routinely (Yeah, how un-American is that!)

There are days when all we do is sit in front of the television and chill out

I won't let him watch anything Disney because I don't like the messages those movies send out to kids

If Pizzly was a girl I would make him wear what I consider sensible clothes until he moves out of the house.  None of this over sexualized crap that is so tight it might as well be a corset, no cheeky sweat pants that say juicey on the butt, and by all means no spandex or stretch pants because where I come from those things are underwear

I don't think being a stay at home parent is all that difficult

And, the only reason I don't bitch and moan to other people when Pizzly is being a holy terror is because there is a huge double standard where mothers can do that and still be thought of as "good" parents, but should a dad dare to complain about his kid doing the same things he's automatically an asshole and terrible father.  I don't want anyone thinking of me like that, so I suck it up as quietly as I can.  There are already too many people out there that assume a man can't raise a child.  I am not going to add to that mindset with my complaints.


So, there is my list of some things I do wrong as a parent.  It is by no means complete as I am sure there are lots of other things that I do, which many would consider wrong, but, luckily, this is all I can think of for now. 

Yet, it is still quite a list, and I am sure that should we live in a society where the proudly published "child experts" in all of the "parenting" magazines had the authority to govern how men and women raise their own children I would certainly be punished because of it.

Luckily, that is not the case.


Thanks Tork for giving me something to think on all weekend and this morning!

4 comments:

  1. Cheers for the shout out dizz. Really well written. I will make sure I share it via facebook n twitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know, the best part of your blog Tork is that even though you are on the other side of the world I can totally relate to you. I guess playing an active parenting role in your kid's life is pretty much universal, and all us dads go through similar stuff.

      Delete
  2. Thanks to Torkona I found you! There certainly is no 'right' way with parenting. We are all different, and as you say as long as there is no neglect or abuse, it is all good :-) Be a proud daddy man!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet. I am very proud to be a daddy even when it means being covered in puke, poo, and what else. Thankx for stopping by.

      Delete