Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Can I Toss this in Your Trash?

Well, I hope that everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving, and if you didn't...better luck next year!

Here it was pretty uneventful.  We went over to Grammy and Grampy's house and played for a little while, and that is about it. 

Other than that, we had a play date with our friends on Saturday and went for a little hike, which was a great time because we got to watch our little one and his buddy jump in mud puddles!

I can't say if there is anything cuter than that, watching a not quite 2 year old and a 2.5 year old running and splashing in mud puddles, but if there is such a thing I don't know about it.  The only problem was that we had to strip Pizzly down and change his clothes before setting him in the truckster to get him home.  That was tricky I tell you what.

Anyway, we had so much fun on the hike that we decided to have our friends over for dinner and to watch the "Polar Express."  

Inevitably, one of the little ones decided to crap his pants half way through the movie, and, after, a minute or so we decided that it was definitely not Pizzly.  But, that didn't matter because I was so used to changing diapers that I was going to get up and change Pizzly's litttle friend when I had this "A-Ha!" moment.

"What the hell am I doing?" I thought to myself. "This isn't my brat.  Let his parents deal with the stink filthy diaper!"

So, happily,  I let the boy's mama take care of it and didn't even bother to get up because that's how I roll!

Then 2 strange things happened.

1st: my wife for some reason was called over to inspect this little boy's bum (she's not a doctor/Nurse/PA or in the medical field at all, so why ask her?)   Apparently Pizzly's little friend has had a case of diaper rash for a few days that refuses to go away.  If it was me, I'd much rather ask a pediatrician or someone who is actually in the medical field rather than a random friend who may or may not know what the hell he/she is talking about, but that's just me.

At least she didn't pose the question on an internet forum where a 100 other moms can tell her a 100 different answers all of which are crazy and include things like "Have you vaccinated him?", which has nothing to do with the problem, and "Breast milk will clear it right up."

Really?

I firmly believe that breast milk is magical, but before I use it to clear up pink eye, diaper rash, pneumonia, the clap, or what-have-you you can bet that I have talked to a real person in the medical field before I try it.  And, even then I might still question the answer I get.

In my experience.  If it sounds bat crap crazy it probably is.

The 2nd weird thing I noticed (well heard actually) was this.  

After our friend changed her son's diaper she asked for a plastic bag out of her purse to put it in rather than toss it in our diaper pail.

At first I was a little offended and was about to say "What our diaper pail isn't good enough to house your son's crappy diaper?"

But then I realized that she was trying to be polite and didn't want to ask us if she could toss the filthy diaper away in our pail. 

My response was an uproar of laughter.

I'm sorry but that is hilarious to me.  It isn't like we are stockpiling Pizzly's dirty diapers as little mementos or anything.  They go out with the trash on Tuesdays.  

"Why would we care if you put your son's dirty diaper in our diaper can?"  I asked.

Her response was a meek, "I don't know.  Some people just obviously don't want you to toss your stinky diapers into their trash cans."

That made me laugh even harder because, after all, isn't that what trash cans are for?  You're supposed to toss your smelly stuff that you don't want in there.  And, the sooner she tossed her boy's crap filled, foul smelling diaper in ours the better.

Then again, maybe she wasn't being odd.  Maybe it was me because I would never have thought to ask if I could toss a crap filled diaper in someone else's diaper pail.  I wouldn't even know how to go about asking for permission for something like that.  It just isn't a discussion that comes up a lot for me because I'm a shut-in.

But, next time I go to someone's house I'll make sure to feed Pizzly a crap load of prunes just so I have an opportunity to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment