Tuesday, July 12, 2011

You're Just Like Your Mother!

Well, it is god awful early in the morning, and I caught myself watching the same old movie with my son that we have watched together almost every morning of his life.  What the movie is isn't important.  The fact that the little man is asleep, and I am still watching the movie is what is important.

The fact of the matter is that I am too lazy to get up and grab the remote, and the laptop was in easy reach so I thought I would play a little face book poker.

Anyway, as I waited for the laptop to fire up I drank my oatmeal and coffee and watched the dreadful kids movie I now I hate. 


Yeah, that's right.  I do drink my oat meal because I hate it, but it is supposed to be healthy for me so I usually throw it in with my coffee.  It's the only way I can get it down most mornings.  Think of it as Two birds one cup.


Well, soon, the laptop was ready, but I didn't realize it because I was enthralled by the movie and wondering what was going to happen.

I am so stupid.

I have watched this movie at least 100 times in the past year. I know what is going to happen.  I know how it ends, yet somehow I either forgot that I had seen it before at that moment or I thought that it was magically going to be different this time.  Either way, I was watching it again wondering what was going to happen next.

When my brain decided to wake up I realized how foolish I was being.  I couldn't believe I was watching the same movie  again when I didn't have to be waiting to see what happens.  


Then I realized that I know someone else who does this too.

MY MOM!

When it comes to watching movies I'm just like her.  I'm terrible.

My mom is the type of person that I swear truly enjoys ruining the movie for other people.  She'll either talk your ear off during all the really crucially exciting parts or she'll give you a blow by blow through the entire flick so there is never any surprises.

Sure you can ask her not to tell  you what happens, and she will try, but she can't help herself.  It's just a matter of time before she tells you how it is going to end.  


She's constantly doing that, but at the same time she can sit and watch a movie with you that she has seen and has already told you what is going to happen and still be surprised when it does!


How weird is that?


I shouldn't say anything because I am the same way apparently.  


I have caught myself saying things like, "Don't worry that jerk will drown in about fifteen minutes." or "They make it seem like this guy is going to do something, but he never does. All he does is mope around for the next 45 minutes then it's over."


Then, like my ma, I get all surprised when whatever I have said will happen actually occurs like when I was watching Major League 2 with one of my friends.  I told him, "Don't worry Charlie Sheen is going to come out wearing his old plastic glasses with the skull on them and strike out his nemesis and they win the game.  It'll be ok.  I've seen this before."


What a jerk thing to do right?


Well, even though I saw the movie and told my buddy how it was going to end, I got surprised when it happened, and he laughed his ass off at me the same way I laugh at my mom when she does the same thing to me.


So yeah, I guess you could say that I am just like my mother.   

1 comment:

  1. A very interesting post!
    Keep it up!
    I'm always here to support you. :D

    ReplyDelete