Monday, July 18, 2011

Welcome Back 80's! Welcome back Androgyny! We've Missed You??

The first time I went through the stunning decade that was the 80’s I wasn’t really aware of all the weirdness that was going on.  I was just a little one, so I missed all that fun.

Bummer!

Luckily, the 80’s seems to be coming back and I can witness it with all its grandeur this time. 

I can’t wait for hair metal to make a comeback!

Unfortunately, I highly doubt that it will.  With my luck, we’ll have all of the androgyny of the 80’s, but none of the music that I love so well to go with it.    


I guess I'll have to bid hair metal and glam rock a fond fair well as all my hopes for a glorious come back have been dashed.

Oh well.

It seems like every time I turn on the radio my ears are either assaulted with some woman singing some god awful song about who knows what or I’m forced to listen to a boy band or something like that Justin Bieber kid, which is just as bad.  

Well, I have to say, not all of this modern music annoys the crap out of me.  I don’t really mind Enrique Iglesias.  Some of his songs are pretty catchy, and there is always the old timer's like Metallica and Aerosmith and Ozzy who all refuse to die.


It's just too bad that these bands aren't that popular in comparison to the other crap that kids these days like.  

Anyway, all the while I am listening to the crap that is on the radio I see these teenagers walking around town in their “skinny” jeans, heeled boots, shirts that might be labeled as blouses in a high end clothing store, and the sparkling lip balm that it seem like every kid is wearing lately.  Every corner I turn I am amazed by a David Bowie or Axle Rose look like.  The only difference was that in the real 80's these guys were considered "bad."  


Now, when you see a kid dressed like that all you think of is "Poser!"  These kids don't know what they are doing.  They have the look, but they don't have the heart of the 80's.  They've missed the point.  They've nothing to say, which is sad.


I hope that this trend fades quickly.  I am fairly certain that it will because, let's face it, we don't need another decade like the 80's, and it is time for these kids to find their own identities.  I hope that when they do they leave this androgynous look behind because I always get nervous that I am going to refer to one of these kids as the wrong gender and hurt their feelings.


“Why?” you ask. 

Because, I have done it before and I am sure I am going to do it again, and I feel awful about it.  The only thing I can do is train myself to not refer to people in gender specific terms.  That's right.  No more miss, madam, sir, mister, young man, young lady, or anything like that.  


Man it's going to be tough, but based on a recent experience at a grocery store it is the only thing to do.  

You know, I honestly thought that the clerk in the grocery store with the eye liner, skinny jeans, and tee-shirt with a fairy on it was a teen girl.  Apparently, she wasn’t, and he was totally offended when I went up to him and said, “Excuse me.  Miss?  I was wondering if I could purchase 3-4 of the large city trash bags.”

His response, “Dude, I’m a guy.  My name is Jason!” totally threw me off guard.

I felt awful, but he had to know what he was dressed like.  He could have at least had his name tag on his store vest or something.

God, I hope this trend passes before my little man is old enough to jump on board the fashion train.  Don’t get me wrong.  I am going to love him just as much however he chooses to dress, but I don’t want him to feel humiliated when people have to guess what his gender is and sometimes get it wrong because it is so ambiguous, unless that is what he wants of course.  

If that’s the case, that’d be cool I guess.  Let him be who he is.


No comments:

Post a Comment