Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day? Isn't that Every Day?

Yay!  It’s Father’s Day!


Well, to be honest with you.  I don’t get it, and as a father I feel perfectly comfortable wondering why fathers need a special day anyway.  It just doesn’t make sense.  Is it because we are jealous that mothers have their own special day dedicated to them?  If that’s the case, then that is pretty embarrassing. 

Dads are so freakin’ petty!

Yeah, yeah.  I hear you. “We deserve our day too.”

Whatever.

I mean really.  Why do father’s deserve a day of recognition?  It isn’t like we had the hard part of bringing the kid into the world.  All we did was get in there, shoot up the place, and then we were done.

Badda Bing badda boom. 

We didn’t have to carry a parasite inside us for ten months (Yes, 40 weeks equals ten months).  We’re not the ones that had to go through all the tedious uncomfortable exams.  Most of all, dads don’t have to go through the birthing process, which I am extremely happy about because holy crap, that looks like it hurts! 

No, all we had to do was tag along for all that and try our hardest to stay out of the way while helping out where we could as best we can.

So, why, I ask, do we deserve our own day?

Yes, I understand that our jobs as fathers don’t start until after the rugrat pops out, but even then our jobs aren’t all that hard even if they are important. 

In fact, my job as a dad is so easy I couldn’t imagine doing anything else.  For me it’s like every day is Father’s Day.  I don’t need a Sunday in June dedicated to me as a father.  It just isn’t necessary.

You want to know what my job as a dad is?  Here, I’ll tell you.  My job as a dad is to take care of my son in the best way that I know how, and to make sure that he feels loved and safe.  

Easy sheezy! 

I feed him, cloth him, clean him up, play with him, work on his numbers and alphabet, but most importantly I tell him that I love him and hug him a thousand times a day.  That’s really all being a dad is, and, to be truthful, it’s easy as hell.  

I mean really.  Who doesn’t like to spend time playing with their kid?  

I play with him when I feed him cloth him and clean him up., and if I had to boil it down to a single word that sums up my entire day it would be play.

Awesome!

Yeah, I do other things like kiss his booboos and snuggle him a lot too, but that is all done while we are playing.  There is no end to play time.  I love it!

Here is a typical day at my house.

First, we wake up entirely too early for the little man, so for an hour or so he just sits on the couch and talks with me after we have our breakfast and kiss mama good bye.  Then, after he is awake we chase each other around the house and dance to silly music.  

Following that, we play with the trains and have second breakfast.  By this time it is around 8:30 or 9 o’clock, which is right about nap time.  Nap time lasts for an hour so, which is a perfect amount of time for me to pick up the toys that we had strewn about earlier in the day and write a little on my blog.     

After nap time, we play again.  If the weather is nice we’ll go outside and play in the yard or we’ll go to the park.  The little man gets to choose.  Either way I am fine with it.  Then at noon we have lunch.

After lunch, we play again until about 1:30 or 2, which is nap time again.  This nap is awesome because he will sleep for at least two hours, so I can do pretty much whatever I want until he wakes up. 

Unfortunately, by this time I am ready for a nap myself, so I usually end up lying down with him.  If I wake up first, I usually try to rush and do the dishes and pick up all the toys because when he wakes up he is going to want a snack and my undivided attention. 

Yes, by undivided attention I mean the little guy is going to want to play because he will be all charged up after his long nap.  So, I try to get dinner ready before my wife gets home as best I can while playing with the little guy.  

Then, my wife comes home and I am chopped liver for the rest of the evening.

That’s a typical day for me.  

Sure, I also change a few diapers somewhere in between everything else, and we also take a bath or shower in there somewhere, but all in all that’s my day. 

Not too shabby.

So, you see.  I get to play with my kid every single day.  I have a blast.  He has a blast.  I can’t imagine a better way to spend my day, so why do I need a designated father’s day when every day is father’s day for me?  

It’s you moms that need the day off.  You have all the responsibilities.  All us dads have to do is keep our kids entertained, and, let’s face it, that’s the best job in the world.

1 comment:

  1. What a great perspective! My hubs is a truck driver, so I kind of take back seat when he's home. His odd hours make him prime material for entertainment for the kids. It's good to know you dad's love it just as much as the kids!

    ReplyDelete