Monday, May 23, 2011

Oh no! I am Getting Old!

When I turned thirty a couple of weeks ago I joked and kidded about being old now and that I can no longer have fun because I am too frail.  I played it up and told everyone I knew that it was all down hill from here and that soon I was going to have a midlife crisis and buy a boat or something.  It was all in good fun, but now I am not so sure.

I really am getting old!

Here's how I know!

You see, on Saturday we took the little man to the zoo and I noticed something strange.  Right off I heard someone say to their kid "Oh look at how cute that baby is playing with his grandpa!"  Of course, they were referring to my son and I.  That happens from time to time.   I think it has something to do with my untrimmed beard and hair.  The deal with that is this.  

I want to cut the little man's hair, but my wife doesn't.  So, I have been saying that I will not get my hair cut or trim my beard until our little guy gets a hair cut too.  So far it isn't working out for me all that well.  My wife seems to like my shaggy hair and doesn't mind my bushy beard.  The only person that my unkempt hair is bothering is me, but I refuse to cut it until my baby is allowed to have a hair cut because, yes, I just that stubborn.  It has become a war of attrition at this point, and at the rate this is going I will probably fold because I have no will power to really see anything through to the end, but for now I am "in it to win it!"


Anyway, what really struck me as odd at the zoo wasn't the fact that someone mistook me for my son's grandfather.  I was dumbfounded by the number of young looking parents that were there.  If I had to guess I would probably say that there might have been one other 30 year old or close to it couple there with just one kid that was toddler aged.  As for all the rest of the parents, the ones that looked close to my age mostly had multiple children with a healthy mixture of older and younger kids or there were the people who looked to be in their early twenties if that and had one young kid or two really young ones.  I was pretty perplexed.  Isn't it trendy to wait anymore?

I guess it is out of style.

I thought about this for most of that day, and I came  to the conclusion that I became old and didn't even realize it because I have no idea what the trend is anymore on anything.

Now, I am not sure what that means for me exactly, but I am pretty sure that it means my knowledge of technology is rapidly growing outdated.  In fact, i would wager that it is as outdated as my parents knowledge of it was when I was a young'un.  

You know what I am talking about right?   Way back in the day when DVD players first came out and CDs became the norm instead of cassettes.  

Do you remember how much your parents complained about this newfangled technology?  Some of your parents probably still complain about it.  


What's wrong with my VHS?  Isn't that good enough?


Why the hell can't I find tapes of  Neil Diamond anymore?  All they have are these CD thingies!


DVD's will never catch on .  You mark my words!  No one will ever purchase the same movie twice just to have a copy of it on the dvd too.


and so on and so on...

We all heard this I am sure, and while they complained we were probably thinking, "Oh God!!! You are so OLD!!!"

Now, I am afraid I am turning into my parents.  


OLD! 

I am starting to fall behind the technology train.  I am even starting to say similar complaints about it changing so quickly.  I just can't keep up!  I have caught myself saying things like, "Why  the heck do I need a phone that plays music and take pictures, and what is the deal with this text messaging crap?  What's wrong with having a phone that can only be a phone?  I don't need all that other crap!"   

Then, I got flabbergasted over the concept of the kindle.  "What good is that going to do?" I asked when I first heard about it.   "That'll never catch on!" I said.

What is really embarrassing is that my mom has a kindle now and she can use it.  I can't figure that damn thing out!  

Wait a minute!  There is something wrong here!  Since when did my parents get cooler and more technologically savvy than me?  

It's not right I say! 

Soon, the little man is going to snigger at me the same way I sniggered at my parents when they didn't know what something was or how to use it.  I don't need that kind of pressure.  I have a hard enough time operating the remote for our television.  Honestly, do we really need all these buttons on it?  Why the heck is there a vcr button?  They don't even make VCR's anymore!  


   

No comments:

Post a Comment