Thursday, May 26, 2011

It's My Wife's Birthday! Wanna Know How We Met?

Well, today is my wife’s birthday.  I have heard from other women that I probably shouldn’t broadcast how old she is because a lot of women are quite sensitive about their age.  Fortunately, I don’t think that my wife fits into that category, so I can tell you that she is turning 30.


My baby boy and my beautiful Honey Bear!


Let me tell you, I found it really hard to come up with something appropriate to get her as a gift.  I was torn between getting her adult diapers and a walker.  It was a hard decision.  In the end I decided to get her neither.  She would probably get angry with me for wasting our money frivolously. 

I can’t tell you what I actually got her because she may read this before she gets home and it would ruin the surprise.  What I can tell you is how we first met.  Well, not actually how we first met because I don’t remember that since I was in preschool.

I think that the first time that I actually took notice of her was in junior high.  It was in French class or chorus or something.  I remember thinking that she was really cute and really smart and fun and outdoorsy.   In a few words, she was the perfect girl in my eyes, which meant that she probably would never give me the time of day, so I gave up before I even tried to talk to her.  

Now, I am not usually all that shy, but she was different.  She somehow made me feel awkward, and no matter how hard I tried I could never get the right words out when I was around her. 

Well, all throughout high school I thought about her a lot.  I remember practicing all the things I would say to her the night before I had a class she was in.  I ended up always psyching myself out and not saying anything at all. 

Then, like a fool, I ended up dating a girl I couldn’t stand, which I won’t go into.  Needless to say, that wasn’t a fun time for me.

Anyway, after the girl I didn’t even like dumped me I couldn’t get the girl of my dreams, my wife, off of my mind.  Truthfully, she never left my mind.  

I thought about her all the time.  But, I never told her about it because, like a coward, I was too afraid of getting rejected or laughed at or whatever else that could happen.  Never in a million years would I have thought that she would take a chance on a loser like me.

Well, everything changed when I went to her brother’s high school graduation party. I don’t remember much of it, but I do remember that she showed me around her house and then later on I got to ride behind her on a four wheeler.  I was in heaven.  Here was a chance for me to kind of hug her without being creepy right?  I didn’t dare.

I blew it!

I was too afraid to touch her, and I am pretty sure you can think of why that was.  So, instead of holding onto her I ended up clutching the seat of the four wheeler so I wouldn’t fall off.  For a year and three months after that I kicked myself for not having the courage then to “make my move.” 

I can’t believe I was such an idiot!

Well, it worked out alright in the long run. 

A year and 3 months later I finally worked up the nerve to call her and ask her out.  Our first date was kind of lame.  I took her to Ponderosa and then to Walmart, but then we went back to her mom and dad’s house and watched a movie, which was awesome!  I have never had such an exhilarating time, and I even stole a kiss as I was leaving.  

I couldn’t help myself. 

Since then, we have seen each other almost every day.  What’s really amusing to me is that at one time she told me that she thought I was suicidal the day I called her up out of the blue and asked her out, and that is why she agreed. 


Hey, whatever works right?

She didn’t realize that I had been pining for her since junior high, and I was definitely not above getting a pity date.

Now, it’s hard for me to believe sometimes that she is my beautiful wife and the mother of our child.  Sure, we have had our ups and downs, but who hasn’t?  What’s important is that with a little effort we survived it.  We are a happy family, and I can’t imagine my life without her.  She’s everything to me.

Happy birthday honey!  I hope that you are as happy as I am! 

  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, My Sweet Love. This brought tears to my eyes. You are the most wonderful husband in the world! I love you so much and yes for anyone wondering, you were always the boy of my dreams who would never be interested in a girl like me! Thank you for giving me a wonderful family, life and very happy b-day. I still get a thrill waking up next to you every morning. I love you so xoxo.

    ReplyDelete