Friday, April 29, 2011

What the Hell is Going on with all this Texting Crap?!

You know, there are times when I just can’t stand technology.  It just seems like everything is getting more and more impersonal these days and out of hand.  I don’t know about you, but I am getting rather sick of it.  It is just too bizarre, and it is going too far.   I am afraid that many people, especially youngsters, are forgetting how to be decent, polite citizens. 

Well, you may be asking what brought this up or where I am going with this, and I will tell you.  First, I am fed up with text messages.  I think that they are a great invention, but most people cannot text with out being a jerk at the same time.  Yesterday, when we went to the park my wife and I noticed that there was a mother there totally ignoring her children because whoever she was texting at the time was more important than paying attention to them.  I was sickened by this.  

The other main reason that I am irritated is that this morning I called my internet provider to ask a question and I got this automated voice telling me to either visit their website or send a text message and a service rep would get back to me.  Ridiculous!  There wasn’t even an option to hold for anyone.  What is this world coming to?  Why can't we communicate with each other using our voices?

No wonder so many teeny boppers are having such a hard time in school.  They aren't learning to communicate properly with other people.  

It used to be that parents encouraged their children to interact with the world.  In fact, I wasn’t allowed to even touch a phone until I was at least 10.  If I wanted to talk to one of my friends I would have to walk to their house and see if they were free.  When I got older sure I’d make a phone call, but more often than not I would still walk or ride my bike over to see them and chat for a while.  it was how things were done on my road.  Unfortunately, that type of thing just doesn’t happen anymore.  It’s either too dangerous or too inconvenient.  Either way, those times have passed on and left us with the here and now that we all know and maybe love.  

it saddens me that as a whole we have trained ourselves to not be satisfied with anything that may take a little effort and time.  No, we want everything right away and it better come easy!  Nothing else is sufficient.  

It is such a shame!

Does it really have to be like this?

It seems as if more and more people are closing themselves off from everything and everyone else.  It seems like all anyone cares about is oneself.  With that mind, what kind of messages are we sending to our children?  “Sure Honey, let’s go to the park, and while we are there mommy is going to ignore you totally so she can text uninterruptedly someone more important than you at the moment.”  

Is that really what you want to tell your kids?  

Well, I am sorry because that is exactly what you are communicating every single time you choose to ignore them so you can text or play with another one of your stupid gadgets.   It is no wonder that more and more teenagers are disgustingly self-centered and rude beyond belief.  Why would they be any different than their parents?    

Everywhere you go you see teens with headphones jammed in their ears and texting someone using all these stupid acronyms because they can’t be bothered to make a phone call and typing an entire word that is spelled correctly is too difficult.  I guess a phone call takes too long or something.  Way longer than typing up a message on some teeny tiny keyboard embedded in a phone and then waiting for a reply.  What is even more ridiculous to me is that if they aren’t wearing headphones and texting, then they are probably sitting or standing with their back to a “friend” while they are texting another “friend.”  I guess the friend that they are with isn’t as important as the one they are texting.  

Hmmm…I wonder where they got that particular idea from mom and dad?  They couldn’t possibly have picked it up from you because you so often ignored them while they were little or anything.  I wonder…

Seeing this type of behavior always makes me so frustrated and apprehensive!  I often wonder to myself, “Is it so hard to a raise a kid that is considerate of others?”  Well, if my trips to the mall and to the local Walmart are any judge then I guess it really is.

But, do I really blame technology for this trend?

No.

Truthfully, I don’t even blame the parents all that much because there is only so much that parents can do to stop this from happening with their kids.  The best thing we can do is drill into our children while they are young respect, courtesy, and consideration.  You know what I mean.  I am talking about teaching the good ole' golden rule.  No, not golden shower but the golden rule.  "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  I know we haven't forgotten the concept, so we should cram that into our children's minds when they are little with the hopes that it will take root and flower when they are older.  

Wouldn't a good first step be to toss the cellphone, mp3 player, laptop, i-pod, i-pad, kindle, or whatever aside so you can reserve some time each day for your family and nothing else.  No interruptions.  That could be so beneficial!  It's at least worth a try.

   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment