Thursday, March 24, 2011

What a Handful!

It has occurred to me that my little man is really a monster prankster.  I have said this before, but now it is really starting to dawn on me just how true it is.  He just never ceases to surprise me with his phenomenal sense of humor.  I mean, he sets me up for a joke all the time.  This is more than him screaming in my face to wake me up and trying to run me over with his Choo choo train.  His pranks are getting more and more complicated.  It is getting to the point where I don’t necessarily see them coming anymore.  How sad is it that I am getting duped by a toddler?

Let me tell you how I woke up from our ritual morning nap today.  Like usual he crawled up in my face and screamed, “Hey Da!!”  But, when I feigned surprise and jumped awake the little monster pretended to be asleep and act like nothing happened.  The only thing that gave him away was the fact that he was giggling maniacally with his eyes closed.  I couldn’t believe it!  How in earth is my baby boy coming up with this stuff?

Well, as it turns out I pretend to be asleep quite often at night when I want the little mighty mite to be asleep as well.  So, that would explain why he would pretend to be asleep, and it just makes sense to combine the pretending to be asleep with the daily scaring me awake together.  I guess what really amazes me is that my baby boy is always coming up with new jokes to play on me.  Recently, he has been pretending to be thirsty and when I try to give him some water he squeaks out a no and laughs at me as he runs away.  His other newest joke is to start dancing and beckon me to join him, but when I do join him he will sit down and smirk evilly at me.  But, his newest and most alarming prank he pulls is the one where he waits until my back is turned and he drops something that sounds like he has fallen.  When I hurry over to see if he is alright he is always laughing with such pride!   Yesterday, he pulled that prank on me a number of times, and each time I had to go and make sure he was alright.  The worst part of it is that I can’t reason with him and tell him that eventually I am going to stop believing him.  I mean how do give a one year old the whole “the boy who cried wolf” talk?

The answer to that is you can’t, and you can’t really yell at a one year old either.  Well, maybe you can, but I can’t.  Actually, I am quite thrilled that he seems to have such a strong sense of humor.  I just wish that I wasn’t the butt of all his jokes.  On second thought, I don’t mind all that much.  About the only thing that I really wish I had was a way to watch him while letting him be independent simultaneously.  Don’t get me wrong it isn't like I am ignoring him or anything.  I am always in the same room with him, but I don’t like the feeling that I am always on top of him.  I feel like I am constantly saying, “Oh no, don’t put that in your mouth!” or saying, “What are you doing?!”  I guess what I am really trying to say is that it is a little overwhelming at times keeping up with my little monster.  What a handful! 

1 comment: