Monday, March 14, 2011

This Era's Over and Letting him Fall so He Can Get Back Up Again.

Well, it is the end of an era.  My baby boy is growing up so fast, and it is making me so sad and happy all at once.  All weekend he has been counting to three and chattering.  He is getting so big!  We even got rid of his crib that he never used and ordered a trundle bed for him.  I can't wait to build it and watch him climb all over it, but never sleep in it.  It's funny how things work out, but that is all part of life and growing up.

Dealing with the growth of my little man is a lot harder than I ever expected it would be.  Sure, I have over heard other parents say how tough it is to watch their kids grow up, but I never imagined that I would feel like that too.  Don’t get me wrong.  I am thrilled that he is always doing something new and progressing the way he should be.  But, at the same time, I don’t really want him to.  I want him to stay my little boy forever.  I guess, in a way, he will be my little boy forever, but I would much rather he be sized like it too.  He is just so cute right now!  It will all be different when he is too big to want to be hugged and cuddled all the time. Then, before I even know what is happening he will be out on his own and causing all sorts of trouble for himself and the world.

Speaking of trouble, I am having a hard time even imagining of all the trouble he is going to get himself into as he ages and grows.  I have heard that two year olds are supposedly terrible, but other than that what am I supposed to expect?  How are one year olds supposed to act?  What about 2-10 year olds?  There are just too many questions, and, seemingly, no answers because everybody is different.  So, that means I will never know what to expect until it happens.

All I know is that the little man is already climbing all over everything and jumping off of whatever he can.  It scares the crap out of me!  I have been told that it serves me right because I was a little pisser too, but I have also been told that it is going to get worse before it gets better.  I am sure that is correct too.  Hopefully, he doesn't maim himself too badly ever, but i am pretty positive it is just a matter of time before he does because as my little man grows and gets bigger and bigger he is going to be able to physically do more and more things.  Yes, he can climb up onto the couch now and jump off, but that is going to be fluff in comparison to what I can only guess is to come.  Part of me is scared stiff about it, but not all of me.  I worry that he is going to hurt himself, but I am quite happy thinking of him having a thousand little adventures all on his own.  In that aspect, it is going to be so neat for me to watch him grow and learn.

You know, I have read that letting your little one have his/her own experiences, both failures and successes, is vital to their developmental growth.  Of course, it is hard for us parents to see our kids fail at anything, but sometimes we have to let them for their own good.  I wholly believe this even though it is going to make me feel like crap when it happens.  I mean, sure we could try and protect our children from everything and anything, but in the end it won’t matter, and most likely all that would accomplish is them resenting us.  There are many things that we, as parents, need to step back and let our kids find out for themselves, yet be there for support when they do.  We all screw things up every once in a while, and sometimes things just don’t work out.  When they don’t we can’t just fall apart can we?  No, we have to move on; keep going; keep living.  It’s our job as parents to show our children how to do this.

As painful as it is going to be for me, I am just going to have to let my little man fall every once in a while so he can learn to get back up.  It’s all part of growing up.  I know it sucks, but that’s just how it is.         


2 comments:

  1. The twos haven't been terrible but, it is hard letting go ..it is hard watching them fail & fall ..& be hurt..sometimes , frankly I'm a nervous wreck but, at the end of the day I'm still thinking that it was worth it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that. It is always nice to know that I am not a freak and the only one that is dreading the fact that their baby is growing up. I guess I might still be a freak anyway.

    ReplyDelete