Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Reality Check. What's Important to You?

I often wonder how there is so many people in this world that can be so out of touch with reality.  I just find it so hard to believe that in this day and age with television and the internet that way it is that someone has to really try in order to be blind to what is going on around the globe. 

I know, I know.  I am no one to talk because there are so many times when I have no idea what is going on out there.  Like, who the hell are some of these “singers” they got coming out of the wood work these days?  But, with that aside, at least I know about global warming and other worldwide and national concerns.

The other day I was outside shoveling my sidewalk for perhaps the 100th time this winter when I overheard my neighbor say something like, “So much for Global Warming” in her creaky crackly smoker’s voice.    

Immediately following that statement her compatriot replied, “Global warming?  What’s that?”

To which the woman replied, “You know, it’s when the globe heats up and makes the world hotter so it won’t snow no more.  I can’t wait.  It sounds wonderful.”

Well, to say the least I was perplexed.  Not just by the woman’s lack of understanding but by this guy’s total lack of knowledge about it. He acted like he had never even heard the term before.  I mean who in the world can avoid the topic of global warming these days.  How does that happen?  Maybe I am just na├»ve, but I think that is way worse than me not knowing who the heck Justin Beiber was.   

I guess it is just a matter of what is important to you, which leads me to the problem of raising my baby boy with the ability to recognize what is really important to him.  I hope that he doesn’t find it to be a hack singer or something, but if it is I will do my best to be supportive and hope that that phase will pass.  Regardless of what he believes to be important it is important for me that my baby knows that his mama and da will be right there with him helping in any way we can.


No comments:

Post a Comment