Wednesday, January 5, 2011

So, My Kid's a Spaz. So What?

In general I am all about high levels of excitement and energetic play because, let’s face it; I am a bit of a spaz.  I can’t help it.  It is just in my nature.   I have noticed that my son seems to share those same tendencies, which is great.   I wouldn’t go as far as to say that I encourage him to be a spaz though.  Sure I might shout out “SPAZ!!!” and he will most assuredly scream and attack the nearest thing to him or run and giggle, but that isn’t encouraging the behavior.  Is it? (Yes I know it is.)    

Anyway, I don’t believe that there is anything wrong with being a high energy person especially if you are a child.  When you get to be a parent it may be time to tone it down a little, but why would you want to?  Honestly, being a parent is probably the best reason to remain a spaz as long as it is in a fun loving way.  Take this for instance.  When my wife and I decided to put up our Christmas tree and a few decorations we were having a great time, but perhaps the best part of the whole decorating experience was the unveiling of the Christmas tree train.  My son has awed by it, and I noticed.  I couldn’t help myself.  Soon I found myself yelling and laughing and chasing the train with the little man.  So, no.  I do not know where he gets it from. 

The story behind the train is this.  For the last few years I have been putting this little battery operated train under our Christmas tree because I like trains, and it seemed like a good excuse to have one out for me to play with.  Well, my son found out that he likes model trains too.  It was totally awesome.  I put the track together and put the train on it, and he started acting like a baby-zilla.  He got a real kick out of derailing the train and trying to eat the cars, growling and shouting the entire time.  For at least a half an hour he was chasing the train around the track giggling and screaming and having all sorts of fun.   After realizing this, I, in my typical fashion, went out and bought him another train.  I don’t know why.  We already had one train that we all liked, but I just had to get him another one too.  I guess that there really is no harm in having a second one.  After all what’s one more anyway?  That way he can have one to play with the rest of the year and have one under the Christmas tree next year too.  Now we can have twice the fun and mayhem.  You can’t possibly go wrong.  That, and I kind of wanted a train to play with myself.  What can I say?  I am nothing but a big kid at heart.

Well, as the little man was chasing and screaming at the train and laughing hysterically I wondered where he got that kind of energy, and found myself asking why he behaved like that.  My wife’s answer was a sarcastic, “Gee I don’t know where he gets that from.”  So yeah, the answer is he learned it or comes by it honestly through genetics.  Either way I am afraid that I am the culprit.  At least my wife thinks so anyway, but I can believe it.  You see every morning after my wife goes to work our play time begins.  Quite frequently that means a quick game of monster baby tag.  All that really means is a lot of screaming, yelling, running around, and pouncing on one another.  First he’ll chase me around the house while I scream and then I’ll chase him around while he screams.  It is a full proof way to have fun.  We both find this game hysterical.  Eventually, we will both get tired and take a nap on the couch or something.  Without a doubt he will wake up first, which means he will wake me up by jumping on my chest and shouting in my face.  It is an interesting way to wake up. 

If you have ever had a toddler scream in your face then giggle maniacally you know what I am talking about.  At first you can’t figure out what the hell is going on.  Then you realize it is just the kid messing with you.  The little dobber does this to me almost every day and almost every time he scares the shit out of me.  He puts his face right down next to mine and just shouts his little drawers off.  Then when I wake up fast he thinks it is hilarious.  The worst part is I think it is cute as hell and start laughing with him.  What else am I going to do, yell at him?  Hell no!   Laughing with him is about the only thing that I can do.

So, anyway, he wakes me up by shouting, then immediately jumps off of the couch and runs away laughing so hard he starts to cough.  He has been laughing and running and shouting ever since.  It is great!  The only problem is he has learned how to fling his blocks and train cars now too.  Eventually this is going to mean some real trouble.  Can you imagine waking up to a train car smacking your face?  Sure right now I am not worried about it because generally when he starts to move I wake up automatically, but eventually he is going to be napping without me on the floor with him.  I guess I am just going to have to prepare for that.  Maybe sleep with a face mask or something.  Although, I doubt by that time the little man will still be throwing his toys around.

Regardless, I have to admit that I am quite pleased that my son has a huge amount of energy and has a tendency to be a spaz.  It makes every day quite interesting and rather enjoyable.  So what if my kid is a spaz like me?  I love him and that is never going to change no matter what.  I wouldn’t want him to be any other way.



No comments:

Post a Comment