Friday, January 28, 2011

Movies that meet The Little Man's Approval


Before the little man was born my wife and I enjoyed our movie night, but now that we have baby boy with us it is getting difficult to find child appropriate movies that we enjoy and he enjoys too.  Sure he’ll watch just about anything with us on family movie night, but there are only a few movies that he really enjoys.  Yes he enjoys watching the Shrek movies, the Dr. Doolittle movies, and the other popular movies tailored for kiddo’s, but he holds a special place in his heart for only a select few.  Here is a list of the top ten of his favorites.  If you haven't watched them with your kiddos you might want to try them out.  Well, at least they didn't drive me bonkers the first time I watched any of them.  No, that didn't happen until we watched the same movie 20 times or so.

Anyway, here they are:

1.) Babies: Directed by Thomas Balmes, rated PG, and it came out in 2010.

This movie is like crack to my baby.  He just can't get enough of it.  It is a documentary style film that shows the first year of life from four different babies around the world.  It is kind of cool to see how people from different cultures interact with their infants and how similar we all are.

2.)  Thomas’ and Friends: Songs from the Station (Thomas the Tank Engine): Directed by David Mitton, Unrated and it came out in 2005.

This is another film that is like crack to the little man.  I am especially glad to have it in our repertoire because it is only 40 minutes long or so.  As far as I am concerned it is one of the wonders of this world because somehow this manages to stop the little tantrums that are now developing to appear and watching this can instantly quiet the little tyke down and make him sit still.  It is another movie that is exactly as it sounds.  it's songs from various Thomas the Tank Engine episodes.  Since the little man loves music we watch this at least once a day to quiet down for nap time. 

3.)  Pingu: I don't know who directed these or what they are rated, but I know they came out in 2004.

The Pingu stuff is all claymation and pretty cute.  It is basically a little penguin that does all this crazy stuff.  I am not sure how to describe it other than it is foreign and claymation.  The little man has enjoyed Pingu since he came home from the hospital and hasn't grown tired of it since.  My wife and I like it because it isn't always all fluffy and sweet and it is easy to understand even if you don't know whatever language is being spoken.  I think it may be gibberish, but every once in a while I can pick out a few words in there, so I am not sure about my original assessment.

4.)  Ponyo: Directed by Hayao Miyazaki rated G, and released in 2008.

The little man loves this flick because it is typical anime.  It is very colorful and flashy.  My wife enjoys it because it is a cute story about a kid and his goldfish who wants to become human I guess.  Truthfully, I am not much of an anime fan, but I know that the boy likes this one a lot, so maybe your kids will too.  I just don't like shrieking kids that all anime seems to thrive on.

5.) Fantasia: This has multiple Directors, rated G, and was released in 1940.

This is one of the must haves if your kid is like mine.  He loves the music and the cartoon characters dancing around to it.  We rented it from Netflix and I am not sure how many times we watched it before sending it back.  Now, I am desperately searching for it to own it.  For some reason the new Fantasia just doesn't cut it with the little man.  

6.) Open Season 2: directed by Matthew O'Callaghan and Todd Wilderman, rated PG, and released in 2008.

This is a goofy animated movie that we found terribly clever and funny.  We really enjoyed watching this with the little man.  Truthfully, I would enjoy this even if I didn't have a kid.  It is about wild animals trying to rescue one of their buddies, who is a runaway house pet, from a life of pampered domesticity after his former owners found him.  It is pretty hilarious.  We especially like Roger the cat.

7.) Bee Movie: Directed by Steve Hicknor and Simon J. Smith, Rated PG, and was released in 2007.

Another goofy animated film that the little man cannot get enough of.  It's about a bee who isn't satisfied with his life.  He discovers that humans have been stealing bee's honey for years and decides to get it back.  This is another kids flick that I don't mind watching when the little man is sleeping.  It's a movie that is geared for the whole family, so there is humor that might not be appreciated by the kiddo's but the adults will find amusing.

8.) Moonlight Serenade: Directed by Giancarlo Tallarico, rateg PG-13, and released in 2006.

This is a movie that we happened to stumble across and found out the the little dobber really enjoyed it.  It is a fluffy romantic musical about an aspiring jazz singer.  The plot is kind of weak, but that doesn't bother my 11 month old.  He's in it for the music.  

9.) The Adventures of Milo and Otis: Directed by Masanori Hata, rated G, and released in 1989.

My little man loves dogs and cats, which is why he will sit through this slow moving film.  It is all about a little dog and his kitty cat friend who separate from each other and then find their way back to each other's furry little arms.  Honestly, I enjoyed it the first time I watched it, but I am simple.  It kind of grew out of favor for the little man, but he will still sit and watch it for about a half hour, which must mean he still likes it because he is willing to stop moving for a little while to pay attention to it.  If you have a kid you understand that that is a major feat.

10.) Fly Away Home: Directed by Carroll Ballard, Rated PG, and released in 1996.

This movie is about a little girl's quest to get a flock of goslings to learn to migrate.  It is cute.  My wife and I enjoyed the story, and the little guy liked the honking geese.  What else could you want? 


Well, there are my little man's top ten favorite movies.  There are a few others that were close to making the list like Dot the Kangaroo, but he seemed to stop liking it recently.  If your kids have any movies that they really enjoy watching feel free to post it in a comment or e-mail them to me and I add them to my list of Little People approved movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment