Monday, January 10, 2011

Going Crazy and I'm Alright With it!

Well, the little man and I decided to watch a little Thomas the train this morning after my wife had left for work rather than play because we didn’t sleep that well last night, and I am not feeling so well today.  As a special bonus we even found one that we had not watched yet on Netflix, and we were really excited about it too.  Well, at least I was excited.  I don’t think that my son cared much either way as long as he got to watch Thomas.  So, as we watched it the little man quickly fell asleep and instead of turning the television off or changing it to something I might rather watch I found myself watching this Thomas episode all by my lonesome.  No, I wasn’t just looking at the T.V. while I was dozing off.  I was actually watching this Thomas episode.  I couldn’t stop myself.  It was one I hadn’t seen before, and I just had to know how it ended.  Sure, I tried to tell myself I was previewing before the baby awoke to see if it was something I wanted him see, but I knew that was bullcrap!  It’s Thomas and Friends for christ’s sake!  How bad could it be? Ever!  The plain truth is that I was really rather enjoying it, which got me to thinking that I am getting simpler every day.   That worries me a little.  What happens when my brain eventually reverts back to prepubescent stage?  Then we will all be in trouble.

What no one will ever tell you before you bring a baby into the world is that your brain will slowly turn to mush afterwards.  Every day you will process slower and slower everything that is going on around you.  This might be due to the fact that you are losing some sleep, but I think it has more to do with the fact that you are going to be watching the same things over and over again or reading the same books multiple times daily, and all this is going to take its toll on your sanity when you combine it with a lack of sleep.  The only way that I can explain it is it is like having a horrible song stuck in your head.  Only this song will never leave your brain because just when you think it is going away or gone you hear it again, bringing the whole damn thing back to life in your brain.  Only it isn’t a just a song it’s a book, a cartoon, a song, and whatever else you can think of all rolled into one.  I swear that sometimes when I close my eyes I can still see and hear the Thomas and Friends theme song in my head.  I know what you are thinking.  You are thinking that I have the Television on entirely way too much.  This is not true.  In fact, most days the little man and I play most of the day.  The television is only on during naptimes because I can only read out loud so long before my voice gets all crackly and tired. 

Anyway, trust me that after watching the same children’s programs and reading the same books and listening to the same songs every day for ten months your brain gets a little iffy if you know what I mean.  Unfortunately, I don’t know how to combat this.  Sure, I read my grown up books during his nap times and before I go to bed, but that doesn’t really help all that much in the fight to remain sane.  I guess as a parent I could always try embracing my insanity.  I have heard from just about every other parent that I know of that my kid is eventually going to drive me crazy anywa, so I might as well go with it right?  Wrong!  I need to change how I think about it that’s all.  There is nothing wrong with enjoying kid’s stuff.  Some of it is pretty damn good too, and if it gets stuck in my head at least it is not as bad as a Madonna song.  I guess I just figure that it is better to watch television with the little man than to let the television watch him alone.  It’s not crazy to be a grown up and like little kids television programs and books and songs.  Why wouldn’t I like them?  My son does.  Now, I am not saying all I do is watch little tyke stuff and read little tyke stuff and listen to little tyke stuff, but I am saying it isn’t all that bad.  So what if I have a children’s side to me?  That doesn’t mean that I can’t be an adult too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment