Monday, January 31, 2011

Books that Meet the Little man's Approval

As is the case with movies, there are certain books that my little man just adores.  We sit and read and reread these books multiple times daily.  Personally, I don't understand the appeal of them, but I am not the one who matters here.  I am just glad that he is enjoying reading them with me even if that means I have to read the same story one hundred times a day.  I'll do it.  But, there is a bright side to his love of books.  He will sit and listen to just about any stories, which means I can read to him from a book that I actually like too occasionally.  

You wouldn't believe how many of these children's books nowadays are just gibberish and words on a page.  Luckily, he isn't too thrilled with many of these non-story books, but,     unfortunately, I end up having to read some stories like these to him too because he likes the pictures.  Oh the woes of fatherhood!  

I am just kidding so please no e-mails about what a terrible person I am.  I love to read to my son and spend time with him.  That is the whole point of my blog, and the point of this specific posting is to point out a few of his favorite kiddy books that your kiddo might like too.


It was hard to narrow these down, but here are his top ten favorites.




1.) Knuffle Bunny a Cautionary Tale written and illustrated by Mo Willems

This is my son's most absolute favorite book to read with me ever!  The illustrations in it are quite fascinating and it actually has a cute little story to go with them.  I'll try not to destroy the ending for you in my brief description. I know that I hate it when people do that to me.  It kind of takes all the suspense and fun out of reading the thing in the first place.

Anyway, Knuffle Bunny is about a little girl and her favorite stuffed animal.  They go  out on a laundry washing adventure with the little girl's daddy, but, unfortunately, lose her favorite stuffed friend.  The rest of the book is a detailed description of what the girl and her family went through to find the stuffed animal again.

I am quite glad that this is my baby's favorite book in the whole world because, believe it or not, I kind of like it too.  It is on of the few books that he has that I don't mind reading over and over again like a broken record.  Like I said, the story is cute and the pictures are pretty neat too.  If my wife and I have thanked my son's favorite auntie and uncle already, we haven't thanked them enough for giving him this nice little story as a gift.



2.) I Udderly Love You! written by Kate Toms (I do not know who illustrated it)  



I would like to say that it was hard to decide which book the little man liked more, I Udderly Love You! or Knuffle Bunny, but that would really be a lie.  However, that doesn't mean that my son doesn't love this book too.

I Udderly Love You! is a story about a mother love for her child.  It is quite cute and touchy feelie with appealing illustrations.  It is another book that my son can sit read with either my wife or myself for hours and hours.  Therefore, it gets my baby's stamped seal of approval.  It also happens to be one of my wifes favorites too, so I'll throw her seal of approval in too.




3.) If You Give a Cat a Cupcake written by Laura Numeroff and illustrated by Felicia Bond



It took some major consideration as to whether the little man ranked this as his second or third all time favorite book, but in the end we decided it was definitely third on his list.  The deciding factor was the fact the he didn't run around with it all over the house, that and my wife likes I Udderly Love You! more.  So, the decision was made.

Of all my son's books, this is perhaps my favorite to read to him.  I really like the Illustrations and it is really fun to act out the story line with him as we read it together.  This book is about a quirky cat and all the mayhem a single cupcake can create in a day.  It's a fun read that is even more fun to re-enact with your little one as you read it together.  





4.) Freight Train written by Donald Crews

This is a colorful book that uses the primary colors to distinguish different train cars connected to a freight train.  This is one of the little man's favorite potty time books.  He will just sit and stare at all the colorful pictures, turning back and forth between the pages for quite some time until his attention is drawn to something else, which may not happen if I don't initiate it.


5.) My Big Book of Baby Animals (Unfortunately, I am not sure who wrote this book, and there are multiple photographic contributors)

This is perhaps the perfect book for a toddler who loves animals.  There are probably one hundred different photographs in this book all showing different baby animals.  With each photograph there is even a brief caption that gives information about the animal it portrays.  It is an interesting book, and I think I like it maybe a little more than the little man, but I know he likes it a lot too.





6.) The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

We received this book as a gift from the hospital where my son was born, and he absolutely loved it for several months.  It was the perfect size from him to chew on and hold on to. He still really enjoys it, but for different reasons.  Frequently, he will bring to me so we can read it together and then he will flip through it and look at all the beautiful illustrations.

It is a book that describes a caterpillars journey into becoming a beautiful butterfly.  It has a cute little story that provides some information as well.





7.)  Miss Spider's ABC by David Kirk

This is an ABC book that is very colorful and cute.  Each letter is a different insect that is preparing for Miss Spider's birthday party.

My son will just sit and flip through the pages of this book and marvel at all the colorful illustrations.  At this point he doesn't seem too interested in the story because he doesn't like it read to him too often.  He really prefers to control the book himself and look at the pictures at his leisure.  It is a captivating book for him.






This is another animal/word book.  The little dobber loves to look through it as I point out the different animals in it and the sounds that they make.  He is quite fond of the fowls, of which I believe the duck is his favorite.

This book has large thick cardboard pages that are easy for little finger to grab hold of and turn on their own. It is a really good choice for the animal loving toddler in your family.






9.) Where is Baby's Mommy by Karen Katz

What infant book collection would be complete with out the occasional flip up book.  This is exactly what this book is.  It is a colorful flip up book that my boy loves to sit and look at and occasionally tear up.  The only problem that he has with this book is when I don't turn the pages fast enough for him.  I never realized that books could be so exciting!





10.) Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

This is one of my all time favorite children's book.  I absolutely love the illustrations and the story is nice too.  It's about a mischievous character named Max who gets into trouble with his momma and gets sent to bed with out supper.

I know that my son does not love this book as much as I do, but that doesn't matter because I know that he still likes it even if it is not his favorite book and that is enough for me.  The little man will still sit and listen to it and ask to hear it again, which is why it is on his top ten list.  I firmly believe that this one of those  must have books for anyone that has a little one of their own.  It even has the line, "Oh please don't go-we'll eat you up-we love you so!"  How can you go wrong?






P.s. You can find all these books on amazon.com.  Also I apologize for the links not working properly.  I wanted them to take you the the page where you can purchase them.  I am going to try and fix them, but if you cannot wait until I figure out how I messed it up you can just do a search for them at www.amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment