Monday, December 13, 2010

You're Just Going to Have to Roll With it.

Well, as some of you may already know, my baby boy hit a major milestone a few weeks ago.  He started to walk.  Of the few people that knew about this major achievement, almost all of you issued my wife and I some sort of advice or warning.  Of course, being who I am, I ignored absolutely all of you then.   I couldn’t help it.  I was so amazed at his tiny little steps and his big wide grin as he walked towards me that first time that I couldn’t believe he could possibly get into any sort of trouble.  Well, I was wrong.  It isn’t like he got into any real trouble, but soon after those first few new steps a lot of other worries appeared to me.  

I started thinking that if he could walk to me he could also walk away from me.  Eventually, he’ll be able to walk away from me faster than I can catch up to with him.  Yep.  This has already happened.  We were sitting on the floor reading a book entitled, “I Udderly Love You” when the little man decided to jump up to a standing position and bolt away from me rather quickly.  Normally this is not a problem because his balance isn’t quite what it could be, meaning he falls before he gets too far way, but this time he managed to run all the way into the kitchen.  As it turns out, the little man has a major stopping problem.  When I say problem I really mean that he can’t predictably stop.  He mostly just jumps whenever he wants to stop, which results in him tumbling to the floor.  Anyway, during this instance he ended up running head first into our kitchen cabinets.  That didn’t make him happy at all.  I think he thought that it was my fault because he started trying to smack me and kick me when I scooped him up to soothe him.  Note to self, my baby boy does not like to be soothed after having a walking accident.  It seems to enrage him. 

Anyway, I don’t blame him for being mad because he spent the first eight or nine months getting caught by me or my wife before he could hurt himself. (Yes I do know how many months old he is and how old he was when he first started walking. He is one day shy of being ten months old, and he was 8 months old when he took his first steps and really started walking at nine months and nine days old.)  Then all of a sudden I couldn’t catch up to him and he hurt himself.  I felt awful.  

Apparently, he didn’t hurt himself that badly because he stopped fussing and crying the moment I put him back on the floor to play.  Maybe he was insulted that I hurried over to him to make sure he was all right.  I don’t know.  I only know that he didn’t want anything to do with me at that moment.  To emphasize this point, the little tyke grabbed hold of his Winnie the Pooh choo choo train and tried to run me over with it.   Let me tell you something, when he pushes that train up to speed it kind of stings a bit when it hits you.   However, the falling down and getting bumps and bruises weren't what most people warned me of.  I fully expected these incidents as the natural problems that occur for first time walkers.  In essence, this wasn't the type of problem I worried about. 

This was.





You see, at about the time that my son started toddling around the house I imagined all the messes that were bound to happen sooner or later.  Let’s face it, kids are all messy from the start, but there is something special about toddlers.  They seem to be able to make a mess from anything.  Trust me, if there is anything for a little one to get into a toddler will find it, and that is nerve rattling. 

Take the above picture for an example.  The toilet paper roll is affixed at a high enough level that he would have had to have jumped to reach it.  In reality, I have no idea how he really managed to reach it and unroll a new roll of pooper paper.  Yes, it was a brand new roll of pooper paper that had the end still attached to the rest of the roll, so you can imagine why I found the feat so amazing.  Well, however he did it, he found a way to reach it and unroll it.  That left me in a predicament.  At this point do I reprimand him or do I grab a camera and take a picture of the aftermath?  I think it is fairly obvious what option I chose.

So, as I watched my son unroll 100 feet of toilet paper, I immediately remembered all the warnings that our friends had issued my wife and I while I snapped off a few pictures.  Then I tried to recall any advice that was remotely useful.  At first I couldn’t think of anything, but then I remembered something that someone said to us.  She said, “You’re just going to have to roll with it.”  I think that seemed pretty fitting considering the circumstances, and that is exactly my advice to everyone else no matter the circumstances.  Whether you have kids or not no matter what happens “You’re just going to have to roll with it.”  I guess you could decide not to, but I am sincerely hoping that you do decide to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment