Tuesday, November 16, 2010

More Toys? No Thanks, I got My Ball Dad.

Well, I have finally came to the understanding, that no matter what kind of expensive toys I buy for my little man, he will probably always love his inflatable ball that costs $1 more.  Jeez, in retrospect, that was probably the best dollar I have ever spent.  


I suppose I should be thankful that he does not have the inclination to need more expensive toys yet because  that means that I can save some serious money this Christmas right?  


Nope, I am not because I am stupid.  


I am determined that I am going to find some sort of relatively expensive toys that he will love too. I swear I will even if it's the last thing I do.  I know my quest will be hard.  I know it doesn't make sense.  But, when I walk through the infant toy aisle of any store I see all these really cool gadgets and nick-knacks and I just can't help myself.  I have to buy them for the little man.  It doesn't really matter that he doesn't want them or appreciate them.  I want him to have them.  

 All he really wants are his books and his cheapo ball.  


As a matter of fact, right now he is asleep on that ball and holding a book in his tiny hands.   It is adorable, yet mind boggling to me.  


Don't worry.  


He is sleeping in his pack and play crib, so if he rolls off the ball he won't get hurt.  He'll just land on a plethora of stuffed animals that we have bought for him and he doesn't play with.  I thought, at the time, that he just had to have them all, but, as usual, I was wrong.  No, he just needs something simple, a ball.  


He likes to chase it around the living room, screaming and growling at it.  It is really quite amusing to watch.  


I frequently try to sneak in another toy for him to play with, but just about every time he pushes it aside.  There just isn’t room in his heart for more than his ball and his books.  Not yet anyway because he is still perfectly happy rampaging around the house with his bouncy, inflatable ball.  


I find it intriguing that such a simple thing can provide so many hours of amusement.  Just think, we were all that easy to please at one point, but then something happened to us.  I don’t know what.

You know, watching him play usually gets me thinking that all these toys are just a scam.  


The makers probably know it too.  I bet that eighty percent of the kids that receive these items will never use them because they neither need the toys nor want them in the first place.  


If they are anything like my son, these kids are happier playing with their parents or with just one toy.  More than likely, the one toy in their arsenal that they prefer most is something simple.  The other toys are for the parents and we parents use them as some sort of lame status symbol that we can show off when we have house guests.  


The unloved toys are a proud display of love for the children of the household.  What’s more, the children don’t even need to be there for the message to come across.  By the mere fact that your house is in shambles with toys scattered through out it, you are sending a clear message that a child lives here, and he/she is loved dearly.  


I know that I love telling people when they first arrive in the house to not mind the mess because the little one was playing with all his toys.   What a joke!  I just want to show off how much I love my boy by pointing out all the items I have bought for him thus far.  That’s all that statement really means.  Although, there are times when he really does upend his toy bins to get to the ball or a book at the bottom, but most often it was me that made the mess.  It’s my way of saying, “See? I am a proud parent of a little hell-raiser!”  

I know.  I am walking a fine line between loving my boy and turning him into a greedy, self-centered little bugger.  I’m sorry.  I can’t help it.  Besides, at his age, my son should feel like the world revolves around him anyway.  I just don’t want him growing up still thinking it does.  


There is nothing more annoying than a teenager who thinks everything should be handed to them or that the world owes them something for just being alive.  We’ve all seen these ingrates somewhere before. I am sure that some of you don’t even recognize that it is you I am referring to.  


The question is how did we/they get like this?  


How does anyone get so deluded as to think that they are more entitled than anyone else in the world?  


Let’s get real here for a moment.  The blame cannot be placed solely on them.  We obliging parents can share some of it.  Not all of it mind you.  Probably not even half realistically, because once someone enters maturity they have to start taking responsibility for their own asshole-ish tendencies.  But, before they come of age, we the parents have to recognize that our kids are being little assholes, and we need to do something about it.  


Unfortunately, that may mean putting a stop to showing our love monetarily.

However, I don’t have to worry about that yet.  I just need to start curbing my spending on the little man because my house is crazily cluttered, and all these toys are totally unnecessary.   


My son doesn’t even want three quarters of what I buy him, so why buy it?  He already has enough toys to satisfy my need to show others how much I love him.  I have achieved sufficient bragging rights status.  So I guess I don’t need to buy the little dobber something every time we go out anywhere any more.  


But, it is so fun. Damn!  


I’ll just have to remind myself over and over again that he really doesn’t need anymore toys.  Seeing the other spoiled, ungrateful little brats will serve as a reminder of what my future could be like and help me stop the unnecessary toy buying too.  


Hey, it’s gotta start somewhere right?   

1 comment:

  1. this is truly amazing. Makes me realize that I shouldnt feel guilty about having a messy house that is scattered with toys. Thanks Jeff.

    ReplyDelete